Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Boxer
Touching more on the crux,via a jaunt from today.

Treat every new(to you) scope,as being "suspect",until it's proven otherwise. That ain't a slight to Makes or Models,rather a running headstart to KNOWN quantities. Far easier to control atmospheric variables at the 100yd line,as opposed to the 1000yd line and the minimization of variables,is always where the rubber meets the road for the win. Lotsa ways to skin this cat,but I'm prone to cutting to the [bleep] chase and gotta see smooth/consistent transitions and repeats. Shooting "a box" with an erector,never meant schit to me and I weigh lineal tracking heartily.

Fast/easy way to weigh inherent erector virtue and quantify same. The baseline dimensioning is subjective,but I wanna travel the scale and the available scale had best do what I've in mind for the chambering/boolit or I'm kicking schit loose over a cliff and moving on.

Small aiming reference at bottom of target and 5" lineal vertical scale(which is horizontal in this frame,running left to right),on which to weigh ele erector travel virtues. A 1" 10x glass with a 250yd zero and 35" of available travel,will connect alotta dots,in regards to chamberings/boolits that I favor as mainstays.

The last thing I wanna do to one of my bores,is cram sumptin' other than boolits in/through it. I've zero use for spud indicators,or those affixed with magnets...because Pretending to shoot,ain't shootin'. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Windage tracking rates a thunk,as do ele and windage in conjunction. The horizontal windage scale in the next frame,is in 2" increments. No feat to hang the works square,gun solutions and critique their proposed POI,with the actual. In summation,schit had best track square and repeat to return. It's very typically a mindfphuck,for folks to gun such simplistic quantification and the astute will shop in accords with them findings. KNOWING reliably trumps a guess. Re-hint.

[Linked Image]

Now under the assumption that discrepancies are found,which do not jive with the assigned values slated a given erector,all is not lost. If the erector tracks in lineal fashion,but shy or proud of proposed actual...it makes not a [bleep] to skew the scale in accords to it's illustrated behavior and run dope to concur with same. The KEY is,knowing how it tracks and that it is repeatable. If not,cut losses and punt ASAP,less a single glance backwards. It always humors me how many get hung up on Hubble-esque magnification and bugs on a windshield reticles,yet are totally [bleep] clueless in regards to the meat and taters of the equation. With a known erector,crosshair intersection is always the bidness end of the solution and it's purty tough to [bleep] that up. Re-re-hint.

The weather blew up today,like it do in the Midwest during Winter. Plowed my way the range,paid my dues,awaited my turn and aired a few things out. Throwed a passel of wares in the crummy,but thunked this germane. Was gunning fireform comeup verification with 105's(Hornie HPBT). The scope was knowed and a 250 zero bestowed,which granted 35+ MOA remaining ele erector travel. Obviously,to grant such from a 1" tube,the windage had to be well centered.

[Linked Image]

From there and basing all from knowed speed/BC,it's a breeze to input solutions for dastardly deeds beyond the initial zero range. As per whim and subtle shift of a base MPAJ formulated via ruck,I could gun from 150 to the 1350yd line. With FF loads,the remaining erector travel from the 250yd zero,granted POA/POI intersection to the 1200yd line. Having quantified the erector's sanctity and the ES/SD of the ammo slated to the rifle particular,I could then in good faith dope atmospheric conditions and connect dots...working with KNOWN mechanical quantities. That happens to be the ONLY way to get good at reading/doping wind. Re-re-re-hint.

There's multiple wind impulses evident and that only makes schit fun. If you ain't testing both yourself and your gear...you's pizzing up stagnant ropes. Now there's MUCH to be said for flying glass that'll allow you to see trace/impact,as a means of reaffirming your wind calls. Re-re-re-re-hint.

[Linked Image]

It's nice to be able to quantify your calls,as reaffirmation that you've both oars in the water.

[Linked Image]

Long way of sayin',a guy makes his own "luck".

Re-re-re-re-re-hint.(grin) P.S. and by the way...[bleep] BDC's and I mean ALL BDC's.

Here Endeth the Sermon.

Lil Fish,

Plotting inches on a piece of paper at 100yds to test the tracking of a scope that adjusts in Minute of Angle is not really a good bet. Hint your Leupold adjusts in Minutes of Angle not inches per 100yds.

35 MOA of travel in the optic (yours in the picture) will move the Point of Impact 36.645 inches at 100yds.

This is one reason why I like my Bushnell magnetic bore sighter with the 16MOA grid lines. Works like a charm on all my rifles/scopes.