Originally Posted by pira114
If most of America took responsibility for themselves we wouldn't have half these nanny laws.

Most people, whether you want to believe it or not, will cry about being forced to wear a seat belt, then cry about being asked to pay even a small percentage of the medical bills when they get injured.

Of course, different government agencies pick up the rest. Paid for by taxes. Not just taxes from individuals, but also taxes and regulations to insurance companies. Who start being forced to offer a minimum coverage that costs you more. Both car and medical insurance.

The result is that you pay several times for those who won't pay for themselves or demand that underinsured folks go without care.

There's lots of other factors like the way too high cost of the medical care and lawsuits that claim cops/cities "should have protected me from myself." But the point is that there are reasons for these laws that most of you don't think about. These tickets do not generate the revenue you think. The average cop won't write enough tickets in his career to pay for even two entire years of his employment.

Yep, just like when police have to defend themselves against a diabetic and beat on someone. If they didn't do it and just left them there passed out everyone would be complaining about that instead.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn