Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by sherp

Not really seeing any differences in seat back heights of buses versus passenger vehicles in those images and tend to guess if a seat back fails due to impact then seat belts are going to have minimal effect on the outcome as well.

School bus seats are much more confining than most passenger cars as well as more solidly constructed. More importantly, a bus, because of its greater mass, will rarely decelerate (stop) as quickly as a passenger car which means the contents (passengers) will not have as much disparity in momentum.

How exactly is a school bus seat "more confining"? They are open benches.

How does "more solidly constructed" make things better on the object striking it?

Don't think I have ever heard increased stopping distance listed as a positive in passenger safety either.

Could you explain why the strobe light on top of the bus(impairing the vision of any drivers near the bus) is a good idea?

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn