Originally Posted by sherp

How exactly is a school bus seat "more confining"? They are open benches.

Sounds like you must not have ridden on school buses...they are high-backed, rigid seats, closely spaced so there is little opportunity for objects (bodies) to move very far in a sudden deceleration.

How does �more solidly constructed� make things better on the object striking it?

The object (person) striking it is secondary to the fact that that object is less likely to become a 100 lb missile capable of impacting others closer to the point of vehicle impact.

Don�t think I have ever heard increased stopping distance listed as a positive in passenger safety either.
Same principal as why a parachute is generally a safer way to jump out of a plane; instant deceleration tends to be quite �bruising� wink .

Could you explain why the strobe light on top of the bus(impairing the vision of any drivers near the bus) is a good idea?

Probably not a good thing for those with ADD/ADHD disorders. Not staring at it works reasonably well for the rest however, similar to not looking into the headlights of oncoming traffic at night. The strobe point kind of begs the question of why those �blue� super-bright halogen headlamps are legal though. crazy

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Motorcycle riders probably have better survival chances if they can get free from their wreck; their odds simply aren�t very good when you think about it.
Then it makes zero sense to permit folks to drive motorcycles if car drivers have to wear seat belts.

Cars make zero sense compared to semis or buses also; so also two lane highways compared to divided highways. I not at all crazy about sharing the roads with motorized bikes; I wouldn�t do it and certainly don�t want to paste someone on one, but I�m not going to suggest that you shouldn�t be allowed to ride one.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.