Originally Posted by Klikitarik
[quote=sherp]

How exactly is a school bus seat "more confining"? They are open benches.

Sounds like you must not have ridden on school buses...they are high-backed, rigid seats, closely spaced so there is little opportunity for objects (bodies) to move very far in a sudden deceleration.

How does �more solidly constructed� make things better on the object striking it?

The object (person) striking it is secondary to the fact that that object is less likely to become a 100 lb missile capable of impacting others closer to the point of vehicle impact.

Don�t think I have ever heard increased stopping distance listed as a positive in passenger safety either.
Same principal as why a parachute is generally a safer way to jump out of a plane; instant deceleration tends to be quite �bruising� wink .

Could you explain why the strobe light on top of the bus(impairing the vision of any drivers near the bus) is a good idea?

Probably not a good thing for those with ADD/ADHD disorders. Not staring at it works reasonably well for the rest however, similar to not looking into the headlights of oncoming traffic at night. The strobe point kind of begs the question of why those �blue� super-bright halogen headlamps are legal though. crazy

I have ridden on a bus and I suspect you haven't ridden in any passenger vehicles made after about 1980 because there is a lot more space between bus seats than there is the back and front seat in a passenger car.

Can you point us to any passenger car wrecks where the seats got snapped off and anyone survived? Interesting that a harder bus seat back is better to hit than a passenger car seat back.

Didn't know there were any parachutes involved in school bus trips. So what you are saying is the increased odds of getting in a wreck due to increased stopping distance if preferable over shorter stopping distances and not getting in to the accident in the first place.

Not that big of a deal to pass a bus which is where the headlight comparison would seem to come in to play for most of us, but since that was your first idea how often do you follow someone driving in reverse so that you are looking directly in to their headlights mile after mile?

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn