Originally Posted by TC1

Great post Bluedreaux. Also, I place a lot more importance to where the FIRST cold barrel shot goes than anything else.

Do you believe that it goes somewhere other than where the ones that follow it go?

Bluedreaux,

I agree with the premise of what you said, however there is value in knowing what the precision of your gun is (for most guns). How do you determine that gun is mechanically sound and will do that task(s) that you require of it?

How do you determine that it is sound unless you check-

1) That it is reliable enough to do the job?

2) That it places it's round with enough precision to consistently hit the target?

3) That it remains accurate by maintains zero?

I'll ignore for know the MASSIVE benefit in practical use of being able to group shoot on bullseye's for score, how os that you do something as fundamental as knowing what size target the gun can hit, and/or whether it is still zeroed? Can you have a true zero (POI/POA) using 3 rounds? Is it statistically possible?

Using you 2.5 MOA gun example, since any 4 rounds can be anywhere within that 2.5moa circle, when the 4 rounds impact closer to the edge rather than the middle, how do you determine that it wasn't because of a zero shift instead of random distribution?

On the whole "MOA" thing, again I agree to a point. However, if someone is going to talk about precision and how accurate their gun is, than talk about what it will really do, not some BS cherry picked nonsense. When you talk "accuracy" you are talking about what size target that it will hit consistently. You can not have a "MOA" gun that does not hit an MOA target on demand. A couple 3 round groups tell you absolutely nothing in practical use of what that gun will do. A couple 5 round groups are little better.