Originally Posted by MontanaMan

No, it's not. His explanations are just generalized & are far from any real statistical explanation.

MM

Yes they are generalized, however regal me with how you determine that the gun is mechanically sound and will do the task(s) that you require of it?

How do you determine-

1) That it is reliable enough to do the job?

2) That it places it's round with enough precision to consistently hit the target?

3) That it remains accurate by maintaining zero?

I'll ignore for know the MASSIVE benefit in practical use of being able to group shoot on bullseye's for score, how is it that you do something as fundamental as knowing what size target the gun can hit, and/or whether it is still zeroed? Can you have a true zero (POI/POA) using 3 rounds? Is it statistically possible?

How many rounds/groups do you feel/need to fire to know that 95%(as an example) of all rounds fired will fall within a specific size target? If you don't do/know that, then how do you determine what targets you can and can not hit? With what percentage of certainty?

It's often bantered on this board that you shouldn't take a shot at an animal unless you are _____ percent sure of a first round hit (usually 80% to 90%). If like the vast majority, you don't do any of the above, how can you even come up with an idea of how certain you are to hit the the animal based on just mechanical accuracy, let alone take into account all the issues that field shooting entails such as shooting position, fatigue, wind, animal movement, etc?

rost,

I do want to have a discussion and get your thoughts an differing zeros bass upon different shooting positions. TWR, it's your thread so we can discuss here or I can start a new one if you like?