So when the skill of the shooter — with many agencies and even civilian shooters unable to train on a consistent basis — is a factor, there’s no shortcut in shooting a larger-caliber round.

And right there is the crux of the matter. There has never been a 'shortcut' to the ability to use a substantial sidearm under pressure.

It requires intimate familiarity with your sidearm. Aside from being politically incorrect, that requires a commitment of time, money and effort on the part of the shooter. It is simply easier to issue a smaller caliber that kicks less; and to compensate for lousy shooting with hi-cap magazines. A federal LE agency lowered the bar to accommodate today's non-shooting candidate. Big surprise there.

On a personal note, I've shot a few deer with handguns; carried a gun in harms way most of my life and had to use one on occasion. Most people will quit their mischief if you shoot them with lug nut from a wrist rocket.

Determined, drugged and jihadist assailants are another story. So are attacking carnivores, once they've decided they're going to separate you from your on-board sources of life support and recreation. All those have to be busted down and shot to the ground.

No way in hell I'd choose a 9mm as my primary carry. But I don't mind if you do.

Last edited by SargeMO; 08/25/15.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ