Originally Posted by HawkI
No doubt about it, the FBI has created standards for recommending the 38 Super and 38-44 for penetrating cars, 125gr 357 Mags, 38 Auto's, 200gr 38 Special loads, 38 158LSWCHP 38 Specials, +P 38's, +P+ 38's, 9mms with light bullets, 9mm's with heavies, midweights, the 10mm, the 40 and now reasons to make the 9mm "best" again, or at least recommended, according to their tests.

Did the 357 Sig have their fancy for awhile?

I don't know if they've ever found a decent enough excuse to make a 45 the "best" over the years, but I'm sure if they did a good portion of agencies and ammunition makers would heed the call.

A 2,000 dollar toilet seat comes to mind. Maybe the next "best" thing will be a hot 32 or 22; I could really care less, but the gospel according to the FBI has been a wandering goatphuck as long as there's been an FBI in regards to sidearms.

Great post and consistent with my recollection of the Bureau's 'next big thing' cartridge selections over the past 35 years. After you choose 'the best' so many times, 'best' becomes meaningless. And Jesus... split times in a gunfight? Gunfights are won by people able to make the decision to shoot an [bleep] right now, right well and with something big enough to settle their hash ASAP.

The Bureau has enough scraps under their belt to know this, as do many other outfits. There is however a constant battle between those who insist on imparting skill at arms and those who insist on qualifying everybody at the lowest possible cost.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ