Originally Posted by RJM
Something that keeps getting repeated just got me to wondering... One of the beliefs is that one will hit better in a gun fight with a smaller easier to control caliber. I am just wondering where the stats on that are...or if they even exist.

Bob, as ever, you always post great information, and over time i have to say i find myself always eager to read your posts, as well as a handful of other 'fire members....

early in this thread, i mentioned that advancements, etc., in these fields do not come from the govenmental sector--but rather--from civilians who work at their crafts everyday. with this thought in mind:

in a sense, there already has been some "study of sorts" with regard to accuracy, and lightning fast shooting calling for acceptable hits. this occurred back in the 70's and 80's in the IPSC game. in short order, world class handgunners found out in a hurry that in order to play ball, they needed to make the switch to the smaller, faster, lighter recoiling round--the .38 Super--a mighty fine round.

more "speedy, accurate shooting" happens in one day--with all manner of different handgunners displaying all manner of skillsets--than likely occurs in LE on-duty shooting engagements over many days--if not weeks, or longer. i always thought that the 9 mm should have been able to play ball in that game--with no disparity--but alas, "power factor" was there to rear it's ugly head, and the lowly 9 mm was relegated to "minor" status....

this remark is not to defend IPSC--or to compare it realistically to street shootings--but only to point out that in that game, alot of ground was covered, especially in the early to mid 80's. it was--and is--a game. nevertheless it was a good place to acquire necessary skillsets, and test oneself against others.

the 9 mm is without question my favorite round. Bob, you mentioned "the perception of the officer" carrying the gun/ammo as a factor in matters. i believe this is very much spot on. if we can enlarge the pool of individuals you mention to include private citizens who are responsible CC folks, i can say this:

through considering a cross-section of just "everyday possibles" that might occur to a person in their everyday life, i feel more confident with a somewhat bigger caliber, than i do with a smaller caliber--as i prefer to err on the side of caution. too many times i've seen in testing bullets--and in other times shooting various game--that hp pills do not expand--but rather--"cave inward", and you "end up with what you started with".

that leaves "small caliber vs large caliber speed/accuracy". when i first began timing my deltas between "9 mm and .45 auto" capability (and adding an occasional 10 mm in for spice)--there was considerable disparity of times. that was 25+ years ago. consistent effort/work narrows this gap, and today, i can shoot the .45 auto at a speed that i am comfortable with for CC.

for most in LE, they have to carry what their department demands. for the private CC citizen, they can carry many options--but they should carry what they are proficient/comfortable with--and those parameters vary widely with differing individuals....

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...