Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Yes, and the 9mm aint it. In fact w hardball (which is all we were allowed to use even today, the Guards we have at our bases still use 9mm ball) our guys in the sand were scurrying around for old 45 out of the Crane Indiana arsenal. While it may well be a suitable caliber with modern ammo, the whole reason the FBI went to the 10MM (then downgraded to the 40 S&W aka 10mm "light" because of females) was after the infamous Miami shootout where the agents had 9mm which proved to be a failure. I believe I'l stick to 45 ACP or 357 SIG.
There was a failure of one Winchester Silvertip. And that's questionable since the FBI didn't have any penetration requirements prior to 1986. But it was a very convenient scapegoat for the FBI who kinda had two guys kinda hand them their arses. By today's standards that 115 grain Silvertip in in adequate. But now with modern 124+P and 147's the 9mm routinely out-penetrates the .45 ACP.

The 9mm makes sense for the FBI, but it doesn't mean it makes sense for everyone. I still carry a .45 ACP.

A lot of people keep repeating that the 9 out penetrates the 45, but it is not true. I shoot both and I have teste 124 grain +P against the 220 critical duty and the 9 does not out penetrate the 45 and the 45 leaves a larger diameter hole no question.
Both in wood and steel the 9 did not out penetrate the 45.

Bullets have helped perform better both and the 45 didn't shrink.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first