Originally Posted by RJM
"I believe the accuracy/speed difference was determined by having a wide range of shooters shoot courses of fire with a Glock in a .40, and a Glock in a 9mm."

...I guess they just had to waste the ammo to prove what every halfway knowledgeable firearms instructor already knew...

...but again we have the tail wagging the dog. IPSC, IDPA and Qualification Courses have nothing to do with gun fighting. There is a whole bunch of officers who have been in gun fights with both a .40 and 9mm Glock. What I want to know is ON THE STREET in comparable shootings what is the hit percentage of the two. My belief is that there isn't going to be any. LE still has the same target shooting mentality they have had from the 1930s. In some segments it is getting better but overall not much.

Too may people are worrying about whether or not an officers "qualifies"...they should be worried about whether or not they live through a gun fight without also injuring a innocent party...

Hi_Vel...thanks for the nice words...
That's a damn good point.

I used to work with our local SWAT team as the medic, so I've shot with and trained with a lot of cops; they generally shoot for chit...even the SWAT guys (they were better with their MP5's). 16 years on the street as a medic, I've treated a few dozen guys shot by cops, some by the entry team I was assigned to. Our city cops carried Sig 226's in 9mm. The County guys carried a variety of guns, most were .40's and 9's, with a spattering of .45's.

Actual hits on humans, I never noticed much of a difference. (admittedly this is VERY anecdotal evidence). Both departments were FIRM subscribers to the truism that there is absolutely no additional paperwork for additional rounds; and just shot the chit out of the bad guys. With one exception, all the other LE shot patients I've had were shot AT LEAST 7 times. That's hits, and the number of misses in my town were surprisingly low.

Kinda funny, I could wax their arses all day long at the range, but when it got real, suddenly those guys could all shoot...I never could reconcile that after seeing their training, but it just was.