Originally Posted by GaryVA
Originally Posted by bea175
New study shows when round-count, accuracy and penetration are factored in, bigger isn't better.

A new study from the FBI’s Training Division shows that overall, the 9mm Luger pistol round is the best option for law enforcement handguns, recommending departments shouldn’t switch their side arms to larger rounds considered by many to be more lethal.

Dollars spent to train, to equip, and to maintain proficiency within various law enforcement agencies will often become the dominant driving force behind the selection of a handgun and ammo for any particular department. What becomes the best option, at that time, for a particular department, does not necessarily make for "the best option" for you as an individual civilian.

Going on three decades in this business, I've seen, trained, and lived through most of these changes going back to the days of the old defunct revolver rounds. In recent times, "the best option" for my particular agency was a Sig Sauer and .357 sig Gold Dot ammo. It proved itself an outstanding choice, and in my personal opinion, has been the single best law enforcement duty pistol I've been issued in these last three decades. BUT, with the current costs and availability of .357 sig ammo, and with the great offers made by Glock and their top shelf customer service, it is cheaper to dump these fairly new Sig Sauers for the relatively inexpensive Glocks shooting 9mm ammo. In addition, decades back we were all tall and strong, but today, we have waived these height and weight requirements and have the ranks filled with a wide swath of gen-y'ers who may be very small, with tiny hands, and having little to no firearm experience. For these, having a cheap modular gun with minimal recoil becomes a factor in these budget decisions. Again, advantage goes to a striker fired 9mm. Having this FBI study gives a professional green light for making such a switch.

I am an old baby boomer who does prefer revolvers, 1911s, and sig sauers. , but the overwhelming mass majority of those within law enforcement today, would not be able to proficiently function with such hammer guns, therefore, the best future options for the whole would be vastly different than mine as an individual.

later

Excellent, post

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”