thought i might paste in this old post made on May 29, 2014 in the "9mm vs the .45 acp" thread.

a somewhat unusual analogy, but perhaps applicable here:

about 20 years ago a good friend of mine was involved in a head-on collision. there were three other people in the vehicle that he was driving. at the time he weighed about 275 pounds. at the sledgehammer impact, momentum propelled him forward--and though wearing a seat belt, the seat was ripped out of the floor, and he hit the windshield. for some of the occupants, there were life threating injuries involved--if i recall correctly, a broken neck, a punctured heart/aorta, etc.

the rig that drifted into their lane and hit them was a dinky subaru traveling about 50 mph...

whether it's a small car traveling 65 mph, or a several ton dump truck doing 45 mph--either way--there are going to be significant injuries...

both of these self defense handgun rounds are very capable--and each has it's own particular sterling virtues.

yet in my thinking--within the realm of the self defense handgun--velocity disparity is somewhat minimal--and subsequently, there is something about mass/size here that cannot be ignored...

and the end of this post from July 12, 2014 in the "U.S. Military and .45 ACP" thread;

regarding the potential for penetration on car doors--i'll prefer the heavy .45 auto pills with appropriate construction (rather than the 9 mm)...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...