Originally Posted by 458Win
If you use any common sense it is hard to pick a bad bullet today and after that the three most important considerations are bullet placement, bullet placement and bullet placement.

A few years ago I had two ranching brothers from Colorado hunt brown bears with me. One brought his favorite 7mm Rem Mag and the other a 270 Win with 150 Nosler partitions.
The one with the 7 mag punched a single round clear through a big boar just behind the front shoulder for a one round kill and his brother place two quick hits in the same place with his 270 on this boar for a DRT kill.

[Linked Image]

And the comment about possibly not being able to make your preferred shot can be true but on any game, especially dangerous game, you still need to be able correctly place your bullet in a vital area --- Or wait until you can.

There is so much truth in what Phil says that it's hard to emphasize it enough IMHO.

I have only killed two Alaskan browns. My first one, I did not do a very good job,not because my rifle was too big or I could not shoot it well . I actually hit precisely where I intended...but it was the wrong spot. blush

It was a brief rodeo; I got lucky and it still ended well but it was a lesson I learned that I never, ever forgot...and that is that you have to be very precise with the first shot on any dangerous game.If the conditions are not just right you must not shoot. You can follow a wounded deer or elk with impunity but marginally hit dangerous game can ruin your day.

I vowed to never let that happen again if I could avoid it,and did not repeat the mistake on my second bear. It worked perfectly the second time around.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.