BearStalker, your math situation is in error, you're modifying the control number not the percentage

17% is the same amount regardless if it's $1.00 or $1,000,000, it's still 17%...... The Amount itself is 17%!

The totals per one dollar or one million are far different, however it's an incorrect analogy in itself used this way.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Someplace in most critical applications of things there is a minimum accepted amount for nearly all engineering practices. Regardless if it's electrical, cement structures, Jet engine thrust, plumbing, mixing of fuels, carpentry, there are minimum standards for serious applications.

If 338 is about as good as 375HH, then really a 300 win mag is about as good as a 338...... right? then a 30/06 is darn close to the 300 win mag, so that should mean a 270 is about the same as the 30/06 according to most fans of that cartridge. Well then it stands to reason that a 25/06 should be about as good as a 270..... making the 243 a near equal to the 25/06, so that should mean that a .223 can be loaded to get pretty close to the 243, etc etc. etc. By this measure a .223 will kill a brown bear because there is no functional line in the sand for a base line of lethal function.

Someplace there should be a point of no return. Sure as Art pointed out that he saw a 25/06 kill a brown bear and with substantial blood to boot. As Well, Bell used a 7mm to shoot elephants( another story with an important reason that is always left out)

As a logical, thoughtful, responsible group of guys that we are. Without going down the path of argumentative one ups-manship that befalls this forum so often. Wouldn't if be a prudent observation to think logically about where that line in the sand is at?

It seems to me that every guy has his favorite cartridge or rifle, and wants to justify it's use on one of, if not the most deadly creatures on earth. This has already been done in countries with far more species of dangerous game then Alaska. Regardless of the choice or if it's right or wrong, these third world countries have at least come together as a group of responsible folks and created a minimum to set some type of standard.

I never really cared about what cartridge a hunter brought with him when I was a guide there. I was too young and stupid to consider the possibilities. As I matured, I began getting on the target to back up the shots nearly instantly as problems might present themselves.

The topic is further confused by folks that have never engaged in this. As I wrote earlier, when you walk up to a bear like this, and see it laying there dead. You hit an emotional point that leaves you breathless and in absolute awe of the moment. I've never had a hunter with me in this type of setting that felt he had enough gun. Not a single time! The great majority of my hunters would make a comment at some point regarding the massive size of the bear, and the puny nature of the gun used. ( regardless of the cartridge).

This is just as common and nearly an identical situation when an elephant, rhino, hippo, big croc, or buffalo, etc are killed. There is an awe "moment" that leaves the hunter breathless, it's as if they re having an out of body experience for that instant.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)