Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by whelennut
Jerry,
I thought my 35 Whelen was overkill for caribou, but for three bears just a few feet away it seemed pretty pathetic.
I wish I had a 400 Whelen that night.
whelennut wink

I can pretty well guarantee you that it would still have felt too small ! Unexpected Bears in the dark have that effect on people .

I hate it when the porcupines start rummaging around in the dark; the feeble flashlight beam doesn't always provide the right perspective. laugh

Speaking of bears in the dark, that kind of reminds me of an evening years ago with my 6 year-old son. We were coming down out of the hills on an ATV with the first load of moose meat. It was evident that the second load would involve darkness both ways, about 7-8 miles round trip with a couple mud wallows to negotiate. I asked my young companion if he wanted to put the tent up on the beach (the bear tracks on the sand looked old....at least 24 hours. grin ), or try to push the boat out at low tide and run 4-5 miles back along the coast to our cabin. I knew I had a smart kid when he opted for the cabin, a comforting boat ride even in virtual blackness. (I could have made soup with my pants for a week. grin )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.