Originally Posted by Joezone
I've wondered just how important having the bullet leave an exit hole is? Yes you get two holes to leak out of, which may leave a decent/better blood trail. And depending on the location of the bullet channel, you've gotten good penetration through everything in between, which is important, but is the second hole itself that important?

Say the bullet is lodged against the hide, with no exit hole. You still have almost the same wound channel in the critter and should have basically the same amount of blood loss, with the exception that more of the blood will pool inside the animal. That pooling itself can be fatal if it fills up the lungs, keeping some of the blood inside might actually be an advantage.

We often look at energy, and a fast moving light bullet can have the same energy as a slower moving heavy bullet. Say both bullets are well constructed such as a partition and both have the same energy. The kinetic energy (1/2 mass x velocity squared), is proportional to the velocity squared. The momentum (mass x velocity)is proportional to the velocity and the cartridge with the same kinetic energy but heavier bullet will have substantially more momentum. When a bullet hits an object, the bullets momentum and construction (not energy) will determine how closely it continues along it's intended path without deflection.

The heavier bullet of equal construction will also be that much tougher and less prone to failure, especially at the slower velocity. If in a less than ideal situation, the bullet has to go through tough bone, without deflecting from it's intended path, the heavier cartridge will have the edge. Also with the larger diameter of say a 9.3 or 375 bullet the chances of a decent blood trail should be much greater. As an example the 9.3 bullet starts out with 66% more cross sectional area than the .284 bullet.

All this assumes the hunter can actually place the bullet where it needs to go and that the larger diameter bullet can still manage to penetrate adequately.

Terminal ballistics loonism.

I disagree with just about everything in this, just saying...

The exit hole is usually larger than the entrance and bleeds far more freely. Filling the lungs with blood is not as effective as draining the whole unit. Blood pressure remains high as long as there is fluid to fill the heart and allow it to move it. No fluid to pump and blood pressure crashes and animal falls down.

I have never had an issue with penetration with the monos, nor with the notion that there is a paradigm change in the nature of wound channels between jackets and monos...

The heavy bruising well away from the wound channel and tremendous areas of bloodshot meat in jacketed bullets is very different from the "sliced and diced" looking mono wound channel with little bloodshot meat and free-flowing blood...

The advantages in reduced meat loss aside, the double ended hole makes a great deal of difference to me. And I do not find the bullet diameter makes as much difference as the bullet construction in regard to how freely the wound bleeds.

And you may often look at energy and momentum and all that, but I have almost no interest in the issue and find it without merit as a marker on the road to understanding how stuff dies.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.