Originally Posted by BH63

Seems to me the client has more money than common sense if he wants to use his .7 Rem Mag mainly because "he feels more comfortable with it".

I would buy a .338 or .416 and learn to be "comfortable with it", rather than risk wounding something as dangerous as a big brownie. I think it is possible the bullet could break up on its upper leg bone.

I might argue the opposite. A couple of experienced folks have chimed in here stating they'd rather have the client with a gun/chambering he/she is comfortable and familiar with. To me, the guy wanting to use his 7mm mag shows he's a somewhat rationale and reasoning human being. There's no way of knowing if it's a financial based decision, or perhaps recoil tolerance or familiarity are the driver.
Would it be my pick? Nope - but it'll work.

The guys with more money than sense buy a 375 or .416 a month or two before the hunt. And it's all relative anyway - some of those folks will put down 15-25k on a hunt and beotch about the price of the factory ammo so they won't shoot it much. Or, if they do shoot it a bit, decide they've bitten off more than they can chew but will use it because they have to have it based on what they've read.

When I went on my first brown bear hunt, I didn't even bother posting about the anticipation leading up to the hunt because I knew there would be 6 pages of "there's no way I'd go with less than XXX chambering and I'd be shooting XX bullet if it were me". And 90% of the responses would have been from folks that had never been.

I used a 35 Whelen and anchored my bear on the spot and put a few more in him for good measure. The two hunters after me (in speaking with the guide a couple of weeks later) used a 375 Ruger and the other a 416 of some flavor. Both of those hunts led to a rodeo in the alders afterward - one bear was never located.

The particular outfitter/guide knows rifles/bullets quite well and shares Phil's mindset when it comes to hunters and rifles.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D