Originally Posted by SU35
In this thread, we went from 270's 7x57's 7mm Rem Mags and 30-06s

.. and that it is all about shot placement and type of bullet...

Why bother hunting, tracking, stopping wounded bears with anything over 30 caliber?

OR

Is there a scenario in which the over 30 cal rifle gives the hunter or guide an advantage?

To....

I stepped up to a 375 and then a 375AI because of a couple situations that left me wanting a bit more.

Which is why at times I prefer the most satisfying feeling of my 458 !

I've read stories of native guides backing up bear clients with .30-30's. In that situation I'd carry a .338.

I'd reach for my 9.3 in a charge/tracking situation.

As for me, this is the REAL answer. If someone wants to HUNT bear he should be able to handle a bigger bore and be in shape to follow up all the way through.

The idea of "that I'll have my guide to back me up and put the killing shot in it" takes away from the the hunt. Guides can line their pockets every day with those types of people.

For me personally, I don't want any guide putting in bullet in MY bear. I want to kill it.

Since you quoted my statement about stepping up to the 375 and 375AI let me explain again...

I had a bear shot in the heel and in the guts once. Shooter was new to his rifle. I followed and killed it a couple miles away in an alder patch at staplegun range with my 300WM... it was mighty sick and did not charge, just tried to hunker down and let me go by, I think.

For a follow-up gun I would have preferred the 375, so I got one.

I have no issue with someone shooting them with just about anything, but if the odds of things getting sporty are elevated by a new shooter I will bring the bigger rifle. But that obviously is not about hunting them, just stopping someone else's.

And, BTW, to those feeling like you do that your bear will not be shot by the guide unless absolutely needed you should be very careful about talking to your guide about that. Many guides will shoot IMMEDIATELY after you do. There was even a thread here a while back by a guy bitching because he missed the bear but the guide did not...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.