Originally Posted by Joezone
My post didn't directly pertain to bears. I've never hunted a brown bear and I certainly defer to folks like Phil on that subject specifically. Good point on the exit hole often being much larger, although on elk and such, when using a tough heavy penetrating bullet, it may not be all that much larger. On a deer with a more rapidly expanding bullet you may have a huge exit hole, but that type of bullet may not make it all the way through an elk or moose for instance. Not sure where the mono issue comes in? That is what I prefer and use, Partitions, Barnes, A Frames, so no argument there. My point on the energy and momentum was that it can be a mistake to look only at energy like many do so maybe we actually agree on that part? A bigger slower heavier bullet with more momentum like a 9.3x62 will do a better job of staying on path within a large big boned animal. Although that doesn't mean you need a 45-70 and we know that the 06 is quite capable with the right bullets and shooter. The elk I shot this year was with a 300WM using a 200 grain partition. It went in one side and out the other, and I certainly didn't object to that. Exit wound however wasn't all that large, nor was there much blood on the ground. A good number of the elk I've shot have fallen to a 270 using cup and core bullets, many had no exit hole but the boiler room was mush. No doubt bullet placement and construction are first priority by a huge margin. Some like to have a bigger hole both entering and exiting and I've read that mid bores like 9.3 or 375 on up have a better chance of leaving a good blood trail with a bear given the thick layer of fat and hide.

Only thing I would suggest here is that the Partition is not a mono. It has a lead core and tends to lose 40ish percent of its weight in the critter. That weight loss does several things in addition to shedding E and p. It changes the shape (especially the length) of the bullet and importantly the length to width ratio, a huge factor in stability.

I have caught a huge number of Partitions in critters...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.