Originally Posted by BobinNH
Does a Barnes that does not exit kill less quickly?

The Barnes I have collected have either been stopped by heavy bone - which tends to put the animal down fast, or they have been stopped due to distance of penetration through atmosphere and/or flesh and often with minimal expansion. The latter tend to be slow killers, not surprisingly.

But my Barnes collection is all non-bear kills, mostly ungulates. The few bears I've killed have involved mostly full penetration, and mostly with various non-monos. Where the first bullet lands and what it does seem to matter more with bears. If they can recover from the first shot and build up a head of adrenaline, they become a very different creature than the ungulates tend to do. (Although a rutting moose which is already high on testosterone when it is first struck can try to be sporty if you don't slap him correctly when the curtain opens.)

I've had just a handful of one-shot instant drops with moose. A couple were monos; one was a 'stay-in' which broke both shoulders. The other was a 'thru-thru' which separated the spine. Cup and cores have also dumped them straight down a couple of times. They have also done it both ways. However, 'shock' has seemed to be the process involved with cored bullets - IOW, who knows exactly why they went straight down?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.