Now there's a blast from the past!

That chapter was assigned by the late Walter White, whose family owned the White Motor Company, and who wrote the prologue to the 10th edition. Walter was very successfully retired by the time I got to know him, and heavily involved in Boone & Crockett. His name still shows up here and there in The Book, most notably alongside a 30-2/16 skull from a brown bear taken on Uyak Bay on Kodiak Island in 1954.

Walter told me the story of the bear, which was pretty exciting because the Winchester Silvertips from his .375 H&H kept coming apart on the wet hair of the bear. He didn't know exactly how many shots he fired, but did remember topping off the magazine of his Model 70 Winchester more than once. Luckily, the bear was across a small river, so couldn't charge very quickly, and eventually succumbed. Walter was also one of the last Americans to hunt tiger in India, taking a big male. By the time I met him he was doing less strenuous hunts (we went after pigs in California and turkeys in Florida) but he liked to hunt anything, and was great fun in camp.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck