Not sure who it was that said/wrote something similar, but I know good writing when I see it. Some entertain with flecks of technical savvy. Some are heavy on the tech side, but highly competent and informative. Some are good story tellers with limited tech and comic relief and some just flat make you laugh your arse off. Some manage to mix all these quite well.

With all the reading I've done over the years, I don't think I once asked myself what's this guy's background or education level. I have often wondered how some can seem to go to Africa as often as they seem - and that writing must be a pretty good way to make a living.

I stopped subscribing to gun mags (as well as most other mags) and prefer to just skim the cover, the story tiitles and the authors at the bookstore. It seems I can tell in a couple minutes whether I think a magazine is worth buying. It's not a slam dunk, even with Wolfe these days. Even less so with other mags.

Maybe I'm getting too picky with age, but I avoid writers that bore me with irrelevent minutia, annoy me with just plain poor or cheezy writing, are self-promoting or just aren't entertaining or informative.

What I like, combined with what I consider good writing is a writer who tells us a bit about themself along the way. Not long ago I read a good book entitled The Right Words at the Right Time by Marlo Thomas. There were several enlightening parts, but one that stood out was what one mentor said to Billy Crystal. This was when he was struggling, but still bringing the house down with his comedy - the mentor said you didn't leave part of yourself on the stage.

Your writing is very entertaining and informative MD. Never cared a lick about what your education level is, but it doesn't hurt that we have learned a bit over the years. I think you may have written about sniping grasshoppers with a BB gun as a kid - not sure. But it's things like that or how Capstick describes catching birds by hand that tell volumes... as in - this dude's a hunter... that you've developed a lot of technical expertise over time is icing on the cake.

But... what I and hopefully a few other readers may want to know is... if you even OWN a handgun! Ha, ha! But really, if you do, which and how do you use them?

Sadly, I think the shooting and hunting rags are too quick to pigeon hole a writer. I mean, does Brian own a shotgun? Does Venturino own a gun made after WWII? Does Phil ever shoot anything smaller than a brown bear? I exaggerate, but you get my drift.

TM