I've never been an outdoor writer but have had many thousands of paid written "reports" behind me. I've made a living a large part of my life writing "reports". I'm a real estate appraiser (now retired) and investor and it's obvious where my expertise lies.

I've, many times, wished I could write novels like Louis L'Amour or Peter Hathaway Capstick or could write outdoor articles like Mule Deer or technical articles about guns and shooting like Ken Howell.

But alas... "I am what I am and that's all what I am"...

I'd like to thank John and Ken and any other writers I've seen here, some of whom I don't recognize, for a lifetime's worth of enjoyment and education related to my favorite pastimes which have always been hunting and shooting.

I've been an avid shooter and hunter for almost 50 years now and have probably spent about 50 days a year at various gun ranges shooting and talking to other shooters but that doesn't make me any kind of expert because my efforts were always aligned toward enjoyment and making myself an accomplished shooter but never a competitor or expert.

I've spent an average of 80 days a year hunting too but I would NEVER class myself as an expert and don't want to ruin my fun by seeking to achieve expert status. It's my hobby.

I've found that true experts lurk in many places and some of them pop up where you'd least expect to find them. Some of them have been involved in shooting or hunting all their lives and some of them recently joined but have that native intelligence that helps them learn anything very quickly. It seems that expericnece counts but there is much more in the making of an expert than experience.

Then there are people that are wonderful writers and everybody seems to hang on their every word. They might know a lot about what they're writing about or they may just know how to write a really good article and have unique insights or a lot of passion to share.

But my favorite, and I'm sure many of us here will agree, is the guy that has dedicated his life to the hunting and shooting sports, and has a lot of analytical qualities and is capable of clear thinking. If that man is also an exceptional writer and is willing to put up with deadlines, publishers, editors, etc. AND if he is successful then he may become a great outdoor writer and surely John and Ken and probably several others here are in that league.

Thanks to you guys!! I seriously doubt that you'll ever receive the pay that you deserve for your dedication, knowledge, expertise, and talent but hopefully you'll find reward that will add to that pay in our undying thanks and appreciation!!!

Long live the outdoor writer!!!

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....