There are some writers who have written many words and gotten things published and we really do not know who they are. I would sure like to know their backgrounds.

Alright, you're on. I'm a lab technologist at a local hospital here in Pueblo, CO. I've been working the graveyard shift for over 20 years here now, and love it really, as it allows me to pursue my (our?) favorite pastime to the tune of 6 days off in a row every other week.

Back in '94 my lab partner suggested i try and write an article for a hunting mag., to provide another outlet for my addiction. I took her up on it, and wrote a 1-pager about woodchuck shooting in my home state of MD. I sent it to 3 editors, and they all turned me down. 1 day, months later, i thought to send it into Mitch Cox @ Fur, Fish, Game. He sent back an acceptance letter, and a promise of $75 upon publication. I was ecstatic, and called mom and dad immediately to tell them about their soon-to-be-famous son.

That was "the beginning," so to speak, and it's been a great ride so far. I only put out about 4 or 5 freelance articles a yr., but i guess i've snowed a few guys over the years now, and was asked to do a talk on coyote hunting at the Fur Takers Convention of America several yrs. back. I've also been asked to do another talk next yr. on intermediate range coyote shooting at the Varmint Hunter's Jamboree. We'll see how that goes.

My name is Steve Hugel, and i write some now for Varmint Hunter, and Small Caliber News these days. Been a privilege hanging out here with some of the "Biggies," as well as the non-writers with worlds of experience beyond mine, who for whatever reason have not taken pen to paper to try and sell their expertise.