Originally Posted by 1flier
Steve,

No, I didn't know that about you or your dad. And I'll bet you didn't know my dad is also the father of the .338 Federal. He (Roy Smith) wrote an article on the .33-308 for Rifle Magazine (#33) in the seventies.

He still holds a national record in cast bullet shooting too.

I, on the other hand, haven't done much. I have killed some stuff that I wanted to bite tho. And some stuff I never wanted to bite.

I hope JB does something with your work. It is absolutely worthy and I will read it, wherever I may find it.

Cheers, Rick

Rick,

I remember your dad's .338-308 article. The .358 was giving me fits at the time and I thought that the .33 version made a lot of sense. It's even better today, because the world has come to its senses about the weight needed in a .338 bullet.

I've killed lots of elk with 200-grain Power Points and 210 Partitions in the .338-'06; works for me. I remember, shortly after my .338-'06 article was published, I had a guy come into our store. He asked if I was THAT Steve Timm and when I allowed that I was, he yelled at me for about 15 minutes for killing elk and bears with the lowly 200-grain ... he knew for a fact that the 250 Partion was minimum and the 300-grainer was better yet.

The problem being, of course, is that I'd prolly killed elk at a 10 to 1 basis for his kills. So I asked him how may elk he'd killed with the .338-06. He proudly said, "Two." Not a lot of experience, methinks. crazy

If I was working with the .33s in standard cases today, the '06 or the .308, I would probably gravitate to a well constructed 180-grain.

John hasn't responded, so I have no idea what his reaction will be. Hopefully, positive.

Have a great weekend.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397