Originally Posted by jeffbird
[quote=wbyfan1]

WF1, your sig shows Texas Hill Country. A 243 will handle any deer here comfortably. Shot placement is paramount. I hunt in South Texas mostly now, and women and kids consistently drop bucks and pigs weighing up to 250 with 243's using really low quality Core-Lokt's and similar.

A couple of years ago, I helped with a group on an another ranch in South Texas. One guy used a 25-06 with B-Tips out of a 25-06. The results were a mess chasing wounded game all weekend. His placement was good, but the bullet would not penetrate. The wounds looked like scoops of ice cream scooped out of the flesh. He retired that rifle and the next year came back with a 308 and Amaxes. DRT everytime since.

Just personal direct observations to consider, that does not show up in columns of numbers.

If going with a 25-06, please use something other than B-Tips.

Jeff,

My experience has been quite the opposite, as have my friends and son. I have used the 115 gr BST in both my 25-06 and 257 Weatherby with great success on Central and South Texas bucks. All have fallen right where they stood. Maybe your guy was using the varmint version of the BT.

Here's a few pics of a recovered 115 BST from an 8 point buck I shot back in November.
Recovered weight was 58.5 gr. Buck was DRT.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]