Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Montana Man,

I don't want to start a big argument, but I'd appreciate hearing how Reloder 22 and MRP differ. They're made in the same factory, they look exactly alike, and the same charges result in the same velocities.

Well, actually I kinda think you do, maybe you are loaded for bear & perhaps you have some inside info that makes you want to discuss this......, but I'll play a long & bite wink

Several things make me think it's not EXACTLY the same, though it does seem to perform the same.

Starting with a quote from you a few years ago (I added the bold):

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Norma's always had problems with distribution in America.

Reloder 22 is very similar, if not exactly the same powder. Take a look at the loading data from various sources and it's similar (given the variation in components and barrels). Then buy a pound of RL-22 and compare both powders through a magnifying glass.

Here's the link to it the thread that the quote came from:

What's the scoop with Norma MRP

Then there is the info from Propellant Profiles not too long after RL-22 came out. Besides Hagel's comments, note the comments from the Hercules person.

[Linked Image]

Then there are my own observations:

The powder granules are clearly different. MRP is smaller, more uniform & has a shinier coating on the finished powder. (Coincides with what Hagel said, but I don't think you are much of a fan of Hagel)

Without magnification.
[Linked Image]

Finally, there is the fact that with the same powder charge weights RL-22 takes up more space in a given case, indicating & supporting that it is larger grained & thus bulkier.

Fired '06 cases, same lot, fired in same gun. 63 gr each powder
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The powders may, in fact, be the same from a chemical composition standpoint, but to say that they are EXACTLY the same when clearly there are differences in appearance, would be somewhat misleading, absent some hard statement from Nobel that they are, in fact, EXACTLY the same.

MM