Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Cascade
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My general experience with the 9.3x62 is the added bullet weight and diameter does result in quicker kills, on average, than the .30-06 with heavier bullets. In fact haven't been able to tell any difference between the 9.3x62 and .375 H&H.

But have also noticed less difference in "killing power" with widely varying big game cartridges the longer I hunt. Suspect it would take more than one typical "plains game" safari to see any difference between 200-220 grain bullets from the .30-06 and 250-286s in the 9.3x62--or the .375 H&H.

That's pretty much what I've been thinking, and why the old 30-06 has remained a 30-06 to this day. smile

Other than being a fun project, I'm not sure I'd see any real benefit from turning it into a 9.3x62. I probably ought to just hunt more!

Regards, Guy

Yep, especially since you have a .375.

I eventually sold both my 338 Winchester Magnum and my "other" .375 H&H (the one other than you have!) after realizing I hadn't hunted with either one for years after getting enough experience with the 9.3x62 to prefer it in that "medium bore" slot.

But have also never been afraid of selling rifles, especially to go on a hunt somewhere!

Did the same 13 years ago in 2009, when I returned from my 3rd and final Iraq war deployment. I had bought a 375 ruger to compare against my cz 550 carbine in 9.3x62. The 375 was sold, and the 9.3x62 stayed.

It was lighter, held more rounds, and launched the same 300 grainers. The velocity difference mattered little and heres why:

I saw first-hand the effectivness of those 300 grainers blistering accross the tundra at 400 yards into a caribou.

Another instant, a 500 yard shot on a 42" antlered bull moose.

Both 300 grain bullets expanded sufficiently at 400-500 yds.

Many thousands of lbs of moose n caribou with the 9.3x62, a heavier .375 rifle that holds less rounds, wouldve done nothing better.

VernAK now owns my ole cz tack-driver. He too has hammered a monster moose at the 400 yd mark. Even his barnes-x handloads expanded well at that range, from the stubby carbine barrel

In a 5 caribou per-day hunt limit, the five-down CZ actually held the advantage.......