Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by PJGunner
That's funny. I run the 200 gr. Speer Hot Cores in four different .300 Win. Mag. rifles, a Winchester M70 and three Ruger #1s, two "S" models and a "B" model. The worst of the bunch is one of the "S" model #1s and it's still 3/4" groups on average. The "B" model is usually good for a half inch or less as is the other "S" models. I've never had a problem getting accurate loads with the Speer bullets I've used.
Paul B.

How about the terminal performance of that 200 gr Speer Hot Cor? Any reports of tough (on the bullet) shots at short range?

I used the 200 gr. Spitzer HorCor on two animals. The first was a Waterbuck which is a reasonably large plains game animal well known for being tough to eat and tough to take down. First hit was broadside behind the shoulder and he went maybe 50 yards and laid down. Waited 30 minutes for his head to drop but he kept staring at us. So I moved up on him for a finisher and he jumped up and took off giving me a quartering away shot that hit him behind the shoulder but high enough to hit the spine and he dropped. This was from a 300 Win Mag and a very top load of IMR 7828. 2900fps maybe. The first bullet exited and did enough damage that I am really amazed the Waterbuck got up at all! The second went down around 15 inches of spine and then out the other side where it went under the hide halfway up the neck and was in one piece though worse for wear. The other animal was a big cow elk, she was hit right behind the shoulder, ran 50 yards and was done. Lots of damage and the bullet was found perfectly expanded under the hide on the far side, same rifle and load. So for the two times I used it all was good. Nowadays I use the 200 gr. Partition if I need a heavy 30 caliber bullet.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]