Originally Posted by Axtell
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Axtell,

I'm assuming you're getting the Ba rates from QuickLoad, and they don't often get enough samples of Alliant powder to get a real handle on them. As a result not only is lot variation often not accounted for, but as you noted, even when if it is, it's not to make a significant difference.

My point, however, is not what QuickLoad says, but the actual physical properties of the powder, including granule size and appearance. Plus, one higher-up at Norma admitted some of their powders (but not all) are the same as some Alliant powders made in the same factory. He said the "difference" was (he hoped) more consistency from lot to lot, perhaps accomplished through Norma's own testing, and maybe further blending than done at the original factory.

With so many obvious similarities in appearance, performance and origin, I was wondering why somebody absolutely stated that MRP and RL-22 are different powders. I'd like to know if they have proof, and if so what.

The physical properties appear to be the same....weight per kernal etc.

For all intents the powders are the same but Branded differently.

The burn rates for powder (QL) is a reference number to differentiate one powder from the other and better yet one lot of the same powder from an other.

In the QL calculation you may sometimes assign a burn rate to the powder for the program to work, usually close as listed though.

Powder burns at different rates according to the pressure.

FWIW I spent an afternoon at Western Powders and spoke to the ballistition - They distribute MRP (or at least did then) and told me that RL22 is MRP that did not meet QC for Norma- I have used them interchangeably ever since.

Last edited by tcp; 05/12/20.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning