Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I started using 200-grain Partitions in the .30-06 during the late 1970's. At the time I was doing a lot of my elk hunting in the thick, steep woods of northwestern Montana near the Idaho Panhandle, and shots were rarely much more than 100 yards. I had a .30-06 and wanted to make sure the bullet would penetrate sufficiently at almost any angle. At the time Partitions were basically the only controlled-expansion bullet available, though some guy in Idaho was also making a few bonded bullets he called "Bitterroots." I soon discovered 200 Partitions penetrated plenty, and also expanded easily on any deer I encountered without ruining much meat at all, even on very close shots.

A couple years later I bought a chronograph and started trying 200 Partitions at longer ranges. Back then "longer ranges" weren't 500+ yards, but out to 400, and I discovered the 200's shot just as flat as 180's. A year or two later I started experimenting with using a plex-scope reticle to judge distance, and as a longer-range aiming point. I started using the 200's in more open country, and found they expanded fine. Even shot a pronghorn with one, and found it killed the antelope pretty dead, pretty soon--and as on short-range deer, the bullet didn't shoot up much meat at all.

These days there are a lot of controlled-expansion bullets, but 200 Partitions shoot really well in my NULA .30-06, and on the ridge where I do most local elk hunting it's rare to find a place to even see past 300 yards. Just in case, however, I've also shot the 200 Partition load well past 300 at our local range, and can consistently hit hit a 6-inch gong at 450 yards from prone with a forend rest.

In fact I was just doing it this morning to make sure the rifle was properly zeroed, because I plan to head up there right now and see if I can find a legal elk (antlerless or brow-tined), a big mule deer buck or, closer to the creek bottom, a whitetail doe. I have tags for all three, and know from past experience the 200 Partition works well on all three.

That's as good a synopsis of the usefulness & flexibility of the '06 & a 200 grain load as I could have written myself. wink

MM