The Speer 200 in a 30 caliber is a great example of matching your bullet to what you want to do with it. I like to break at least one shoulder if possible. Thus I like a heavy bullet that holds together well at 2500-2650 FPS at the muzzle in the '06. The Ribs don't provide much resistance to bullets thus not much expansion opportunity unless one has either a fast / soft combo or like the terrific Nosler partition; the best of both worlds in one bullet.
I mentioned big NY buck with the 8x57; I shot one at 50 yards coming up the trail straight at me. Bullet hits the chest bone, took out the arteries over the heart, stopped where it broke the hip socket on one side. Buck gave a giant "bawl" and hit the ground. I was well satisfied with that performance.
KS buck with the 30 caliber 200 Speer, shot him offhand at 200'ish yards broadside aiming at the vertical line of the offside leg. Clipped the shoulder blade on the onside, collapsed the lungs, broke the offside shoulder blade and exited. The buck with maybe 40 yards downhill and collapsed. Good blood trail from two holes and bleeding from the mouth.
I would expect that it would do the same on an elk at the same yardage.