Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by JSTUART

ps, I added this last not so as to hijack the thread so much as to express consternation as to what the "leadership" is doing by importing the filth of the world.

How'd that work out for Oz, weren't they founded on convicts and debtors, and the unwanted and unwashed of Merrie Olde Englande?

Sycamore,
You have some homework to do.
The average crime committed by those convicts was stealing bread which bakers left out to cool. There was a famine in Europe that hit England very hard so the gaols filled very quickly to the point a larger deterrent had to be created.

The exile to the Australian colony was for 2 years and if you behaved, your family was allowed to immigrate and you were given 40 acres but were never allowed to return to England. I was taught that in school. In later years I saw a poster with the names of these vicious bread stealers and being such lazy oaf's, stealing loaves, there was something like 800 of them.

The bad guys, were mostly sent to Tasmania. As to the previous comments about undesirables being immigrants, I would think that has more to do with access and the US is relatively easy to get to over the last couple of hundred years in particular.

Although Australia was mostly insulated because of the long swim and a few white pointers, there has always been an unwritten policy of turning the guns on boats that brought the unwanted. It still makes the news now and then but modern media has more influence on the accuracy of shots taken than it did historically.

Look up a long deceased gentlemen called Sir Henry Parks and see how he exercised his immigration policies.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.