Long for me is 300 yards. I say that because I have only ever shot one elk at 400 yards and 4 or so deer at over 300 yards. Everything else is usually under 200 yards with a lot under 100 yards. We shoot most of our game with a 20 Gauge shotgun and sabot slugs.

During hunting season here the wind is usually howling. So if you see something you could usually just keep your head down and sprint to within 300 yards before even beginning a stalk.

My oldest daughter and I found some whitetails last year that we put a stalk on and she took a doe at about 8 yards with a 25-06. We first spotted them at around 400 yards distant.

I am confident shooting to about 500 yards but have never needed to ever fire a shot that far at game. The local range has a 566 yard steel gong that is not much of a task to hit with my 308 or 6.5 Grendel if it is not blowing hard. My 25-06 or 300 RUM would probably be cheating.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” Tolkien