Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by jwp475

Tell us about your experience with Hammer bullets.

Already did that. But I'll repeat it to make a correction:

"Have never seen a Hammer bullet in person but the design doesn't leave me with any warm fuzzies. I simply don't trust bullets like the TTSX and other mono-, hollowpointed bullets to open reliably at low velocity - or even high velocity - based on experience with Barnes X bullets."

The correction is I meant to write "bullets like the TSX...", not TTSX. My hunt group has not seen any indication of failure to expand using TTSX bullets, near (3000+fps) or far (~2200fps).

I feel no need to try every bullet that comes along, especially when the design is similar to ones that have failed to impress. Limited range time, in any case, precludes it.

A Savage 111 action is sitting in my safe, waiting to be re-barreled. One of my SILs is contemplating a .300 PRC for long range work and suggested that, but after looking at the .300 PRC, the clear conclusion was I have no need for it for much the same reasons I feel no need for a Hammer bullet - experimentation with either the .300 PRC or Hammer would be a time and money sink with little if any useful reward fpr my needs. In the case of the Hammer bullets, I don't need them under 600 yards (my limit for hunting shots under perfect conditions). For over 600 yards we're talking targets only and there are much less expensive bullets with higher B.C. values that I would use instead.

That said, I will likely re-barrel the Savage with a sporter-weight 6.5 PRC, which Hornady data shows can push a 143g ELD-X to 3150fps. At 7000 feet altitude that equates to about 2190fps and 1520fpe at 875 yards. At my hunting limit of 600 yards it would retain about 2470fps and 1925fps - well above my 2000fps/1500fpe rule-of-thumb for elk. Pretty much the equivalent of my heavy-barrel 6.5-06AI target rifle but in a comfortable carry-weight. The .300 PRC can't match it for drop and drift until past 1000 yards if using Hornady load data for the 212 ELD-X, and the .300 PRC requires over twice the recoil and 40% more powder to do that.

But maybe I'm missing something, Just what benefit do you think Hammer bullets would provide?

My question was to Ringman. I have no opinion at all on them.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first