"Long Range" for me depends on the day and the conditions. I shoot defenseless steel plates pretty regularly out to 700 and occasionally 1000. Some days I forget to bring my good eyeballs, but I can usually hold 6" or better at 600. I figure this will help me make a clean shot on game out to 500 or 600 which with good conditions is about my personal limit. Last year I passed on 2 nice mulies, both in the 160 class +-. The first stopped to look back at about 510 then the next day the second one stopped at 480. Both days there was about a 20mph crosswind. I'm from the south and don't normally deal with the kind of wind you get out west so I never even touched the trigger. Ended up taking mine at 210 yards a couple of days later.

At the range, I've shot next to guys who would definitely be able to take ethical shots at a thousand and possibly a bit beyond. 2 of these guys don't like shooting anything at less than 500 and have the trophies to back it up (not that they're too stuck up to pull the trigger on a 180 buck standing broadside at 50). This is far beyond my comfort level, but if I was hunting with either of them and they had a nice 6x6 bull in the crosshairs at 800+ I'd start checking my knife to make sure it was sharp.