Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Okanagan

It is curious why a significant percentage of long rangers are so defensive. This started with a question (that seemed defensive or sarcastic) about how fast an animal can move, as if that is a stupid topic when one is shooting at the animal.

In all honesty I think the comment about taking shots at animals "moving at animal speeds" was a stupid comment. Because I don't know anyone who takes long range shots at moving animals. Yes it's true that stationary animals can move, but an undisturbed stationary animal is not going to all of a sudden decide to move, accelerate from a dead stop, and move very far in 0.65 seconds.

Having said that I can understand why some decide never to take such a shot. I just can't understand someone jumping to the conclusion that anyone else taking the shot is "unethical."

Add to that 0.65 seconds, the average time for the brain to make the decision for the finger to pull the trigger and the finger to act....now we’re approaching that 1 second. It is not “just” bullet flight time that should be factored in! I’m “not” opposed to and will take a lengthy shot on game....but all possible factors should be recognized! The biggest factor, for those of us that are human.....we “can” screw-up! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/10/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024