Originally Posted by Okanagan

200 minutes of angle is a big target. 7 MOA is not, under most hunting conditions, though easily hittable with time, a good rest, good gear and a reasonably good shooter.

I.e. 200 MOA at 40 feet is easily doable offhand. 7 MOA is not easily doable offhand for most hunters. Same size hole in brush, hugely different target as the range increases, which bring us back to the increasing difficulties of hitting at long range. Long rangers who hit stuff consistently are really good.

BTW, love that little Itsy Bitsy call!

If you can’t hit a 7 MOA target.... you should take up golf. I watch my kids, wife, and a hundred random people a year... hit 2-3 MOA sized target out to 1/2 mile with relative ease. Now.... that doesn’t mean they should be shooting critters that far away.... it just means 7 MOA sized targets are actually quite easy to hit.

But you do bring up another oft overlooked point about LR shots.... they’re taken off much better “rests” than your typical “hunting” shot that’s taken off-hand or leaning against a tree.

So... now we can see, from your examples above.... how/why a “Long Range Shot”.... May actually be LESS risky than some of the “Close Range Shots”.....

You’re taking a very quick (sub-2 second?) off-hand shot, at highly alert/moving animal, with brush in the way. You’re amped up, and have to make it all come together RIGHT NOW, or Never.

I’m taking a highly calculated shot, at a completely unaware animal, with nothing in the way. I’m able to watch the critter for 10 minutes, judge wind, and get a very solid rest. I choose when to send that bullet... because I have ample opportunity to wait it out. I’ve practice that 550ish yard shot hundreds and hundreds of times.

Which of those scenarios is more likely to produce a miss... or worse, a poor hit?

Seriously.... think about it for a minute... don’t just automatically go to the “range” issue.... look at the whole situation.

Thanks for the compliment on the Itsy Bitsy.... it really is a great little call.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......