Originally Posted by Okanagan
[quote=battue]
Wal, I'm an animal, an old one, and I can move 15 feet in one second, starting from sitting in a chair. I submit that as an example of animal movement speed. Cut that in half if we want, and it is still a miss or badly placed hit from a bullet with an eighth of a second flight time between barrel and target.

I just happened to wander by this forum and see that the same denial (of the possibility of wounding an animal) from SOME long rangers never ends. And critics are still voicing the same two basic problems: ethics and physics. I will leave the ethics to my betters. What I can never understand is that some long rangers refuse to admit the possibility of gut shooting a critter at long range due to inexorable physics.

While I'm far from the best shot around, I do practice on clay pigeons at 600 with hit rates about 40 when the wind cooperates, That with multiple rifles.

I've also shot and shot at quite a few moving animals including a few antelope and a lot of coyotes. Given that experience, I'd rather take my time and shoot at a relaxed elk at 600 yards than one running crosswise at 100.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.