Originally Posted by Beaver10
Rabbit is awesome eats, albeit, winter fare only in most parts due to warbles...They taste like chicken.

Any idea how long it would take for a stranded or lost person to start suffering from lack of protein the body needs eating just Rabbit?

😎

Beaver10;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the week treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

Somewhere in the depths of my memory - I want to say it was in the John Palliser Expedition book by Irene Spry - he was the first to chart things like temperature, rainfall and such on the Canadian Prairies at the behest of the Royal Geographic Society. This was in 1857 to 1860.

Anyway they mentioned coming upon a band of Metis in the winter, near present day Edmonton and these folks were subsisting on a diet of rabbit and winter moose, both of which are of course extremely lean meat. As I recall it, they were all in a state of stupor due to the reduction of fat in the diet and it had negatively affected their cognitive ability.

Palliser and his men gave the Metis bear oil at first and then pemmican, both of which contain a fair bit of fat and most made a recovery.

It makes sense in light of that bit of information just how important the bison was, as it was fatter year round than any other meat and procuring bison meant survival plain and simple.

I worked with a couple Inuit folks who said that seal fat was similarly important to their people up north as the fat supply kept them alive.

Hopefully that was of some use to you or someone out there tonight. All the best to you as we head into warmer weather.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 05/18/19. Reason: added for clarity - hopefully

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"