Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Uhhh....I think you got that backwards.

Rabbit starvation is caused by a lack of fat.....not protein.

Yup, same with Moose meat.

I never knew that. 1 gram fat for 100 grams protein according to what I looked up. Faster than rabbit because that has 2.3 grams per 100. For a native of that region, what were the fat sources?

I dont think the moose deal is correct.

Many forget that in the "olden days", Native and European folk ate a lot differently than we do today. Moose likely became a fat poor source of food during a long winter when the moose themselves had used much of their reserves. And the folks eating them had eaten all the juicy parts already and all that was left was fat poor muscle. The folks eating them a long time ago would get whatever fat they could get from the bone marrow, around the intestines, and as a couple others have already mentioned, eating brains. ( I had those once from a steer head, pit roasted by my Mexican American friend's dad, greasy stuff). Our modern culture doesn't use those parts much, although recently there has been a push for using "bone broth" in recipes and such. Imagine that, the old folks did know what they were doing.

I climbed Mt Rainier back in the 70's as a young fella, and remember packing the food with the local Scout guides, loads of fatty stuff for a backpacking trip seemed strange. They told me I'd be grateful for the fat/calories in the cold and altitude, and all I can tell you is that mac and cheese with loads of ham, butter, and real cheese was sure good at 11000' and below freezing temps!

For the grease lovers out there a poem. I heard the author once at a recital, and immediately related to the grease thing. I still love greasy food, nothing like a couple of slices of bread fried in the bacon grease to go with the eggs and bacon for breakfast.

https://www.sites.google.com/site/mtallmountain/good-grease

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?