Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The .257 Roberts has about a 25% powder capacity advantage over the .250-3000, on average with various kinds of brass, and a 100-grain lead core bullet seated to standard OAL. This means an approximate 8% velocity advantage for the Roberts when the same bullets are shot in the same barrel length, with optimum powders for both rounds. If a .250 load gets 3000 fps in a 24" barrel, the .257 should get around 3185 in a 24" at the same pressure.

rosco1--No, the low SAAMI pressures for the .250 and .257 are NOT due to them chambered in "surplus" rifles. Instead, the .250's is low due to being chambered from the get-go in the 99 Savage, which tended to be hard to open after firing hotter .250 handloads. The .257's is low due to being designed as a woodchuck cartridge by Ned Roberts, who found it more accurate at lower pressures, probably due to the relatively poorly balanced bullets of the day, which did not shoot as well at higher velocities. Remington followed his lead when turning the .257 into a factory round in 1934, and so did SAAMI.

So the the local hardware stores with steel barrel full of ratty 93’s chambered in 257 had nothing to do with the pressure limits?

Also of course the savage 99 is the reason for the 250. My mistake for not pointing out the extremely obvious. I’ll not leave the fly [bleep] in the pepper next time

Where is this hardware store with all of the ratty 1893 Mausers chambered in 257 Roberts located?

From what I've seen, American ammunition manufacturers generally load their ammo at pressures that will be safe in the weakest common rifle chambered for the cartridge. I think that is why 6.5x55 is loaded to be safe in Norwegian Krags, 7x57 is loaded to be safe in pre-1898 small ring Mausers, and 8x57 is loaded to be safe in 1888 Commission Rifles, even those with 0.318" bores, and 45-70 is loaded to be safe in trap-door Springfields. Or so it seems to me.