Originally Posted by rosco1

you can still find the business’s they were sold in but you missed it by 20-30 years, so you won’t find them anymore.

Coast to coast hardware, Smith & Edwards and Bobs marina. Local stores. All those stores had a sporterized barrel of 91,93,95,96 and 98’s and a separate barrel for non Sporters .

The sporter barrels were mostly full of Carl Gustav 6.5x55’s. But also had several 257’s, 308 and 243’s, among others but thought the 243 and 308 were worth mentioning, At least one of the 243’s was a 93 .must have been a local that thing? If so some of them traveled .. my 257 is stamped “made by A.D Forkey, Texas” it is a nicely executed rifle with a surprisingly nice wood stock. While every gun in the barrels were not 257’s, there were several 257’s to pick from.

I got mine at Bobs, don’t want to leave anything out.

Only thing I can think of is about 25+ years ago Kimber of Oregon brought out a line of inexpensive rifles on surplus 96 and 98 actions (don't remember 93 actions being used). The actions were matte blued, had fluted stainless barrels, and came in Gentry-designed "Rough Rider" stocks by Butler Creek. They came in a variety of cartridges including 257 Roberts... I had one on a 98 action that didn't shoot worth a crap.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery