Originally Posted by 65BR
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by 65BR
The 250 AI is the one I'd really like......but then you are just .007 away from a yes, the dreaded 6.5 Creedmoor! Never was a Roberts fan, good round, but then you are almost a twin of the 6.5x55........they all get the job done no doubt. I do like the vanilla 25-06........it needs a big brother....commercialized..........

The Wins and Kimbers with blue/wood are nice.

I've done both the 250AI and 25 Souper in short action Ruger 77s and prefer the 25 Souper 'cause it is easier, one run through the resizing die, and fed better in my 77 RSI.

That said, the easiest .257" bore round is the 25-06 and although I was a 257AI snob for a long time, I have come to appreciate the 25-06, even with a 22" barrel. The Marlin XL7 that I bought from someone on this site back in 2012 shoots the Hornady American Whitetail 117 grain factory load better than a $280 rifle ought to.
I Knew a fellow with a Bob AI, he ran it HOT.......VERY HOT....Great speeds, unknown pressures! So......yes I ran a Ruger 1B, Mild recoil, beautiful wood, shot about 7/8" with factory 117s.......only sold it b/c it was just too heavy for a sporter to tote around. Sure do like the little Blue BTs....never cared for the dull brown ones in 6.5, but they perform.

The little 25 BR was written up in Varmint Hunting magazine a few years ago....guy set back a barrel as I recall to 22", on a Ruger, a 1AB it seems, it was the lighter sporter contour. Shot 100s around 3,000 as I recall, with great accuracy. Also read about the Souper, IIRC, that is a 308 case? Speeds were VERY high, and accuracy Great.....it was an all out custom rifle using custom bullets as I recall. I would if the 250AI can easily be made by passing 6.5 CM brass thru a die? IDK. Just a thought, knowing they are very similar. A local shooter used to form 6XC out of 22/250, but it seems I found a few cases left over....that may had failed, not sure how many times fired.

At least some of POA's loading data for the 257AI is very hot, far exceeding any currently recommended loads. I remember a member claiming 257 BEE performance from a 257AI with loads that he got from data that Ackley published. IIRC, he hadn't run any of the loads over a chronograph, so he really didn't know what they were doing, but because POA said so, it was so, at least in his mind.

I had a Ruger #1 in 257 Roberts awhile back, around 2003 or 2004. I understand that the guy who I sold it to had it rechambered to 25-06 in order to eliminate or reduce the freebore jump to the rifling that it came with.