Originally Posted by 3040HighWall
Both the Bob and 3000 are "interesting" cartridges and fun to fool with BUT if you are setting out today to build/buy a NEW rifle, they hold no magic.

Newer cartridges like the 6mm/6.5 Creedmore, with tighter SAMMI specs can exceed the performance of these older 25s.

Bullet selection and case quality is also far better in 6/6.5 mm.

While I love my 99 and 722, I would never duplicate those chamberings if building/buying new.

Good points. I like old, interesting rifles, and pick them up from time to time, get them shooting, then usually send them on to someone else, having had my fun. Last one was a Husky '06. Getting such rifles chambered for semi-obsolete (or orphan if you prefer) cartridges back in business is the only real reason, IMO, to take on the project of cobbling together (mostly) brass and other stuff to feed, unless the quest itself is the attraction. As Old Jack pointed out long, long ago, mild cartridges kill well because people shoot them well, and as Old Barsness often says, ordinary bullets work well at moderate speeds. No magic here, and the results are easily duplicated with modern or "standard" cartridges in calibers from .24 to .30 caliber without all the trouble. By all means do what plucks your heart strings, but spare me the tears and soft music while you do it.

What fresh Hell is this?