Originally Posted by Tahnka
Kimber "Salvation Rifles" (as I call them because as I understand it, they were a stop-gap measure toward financial trouble) were indeed on 96 or 38 Swede actions about the same time SARCO flooded the market with complete guns. Some (maybe the majority?) of those were sold with serviceable original 6.5x55 barrels that were turned down to smooth contour and shortened toward a sporting appearance, indicating that Kimber was sourcing entire guns (from SARCO or elsewhere).

Finish and components were varied.

Rebarreled guns were indeed in Roberts, .243, and .308. They were sold with an economical Bushnell 3x-9x scope, mounted with Weaver rings and bases and the purchase included a plastic hard case. All for $299!

The example I hold is a brushed nickel finish action and barrel, (non-fluted), with a Ramline stock, in .308 Winchester. It shot VERY WELL right off the bat. With a Dayton-Traister cock-on-opening/trigger conversion and a Leupold 3x-9x it will run with the best for accuracy.

It is also a bullet-proof workhorse that looks pretty and shoots prettier.

The Cabela's in LaVista, NE, had one of the 6.5x55 Swedish Mausers that Kimber sporterized in their used gun rack last week priced at $370. This rifle has a blued finish, not the brushed nickel finish that some folks mistake for stainless. I was a little tempted, but since I already have 4 sporterized Swedish Muasers chambered in 6.5x55 I passed. Instead, I bought a used RAR-P in 6mm Creedmoor to fool around with.