Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
rosco1,

Like 260Rem, I would also like to know where those hardware stores full of 93 Mausers rebarreled to .257 Roberts appeared. I have an extensive collection of shooting literature, and can find no reference to such--and never heard of it from any of my older hunting friends either, many of whom would have been around if it occurred. Please explain where this occurred. I have seen barrels full of "war surplus" Lee-Enfield .303's in my day, and one barrel full of a cheaper version of the Remington 700, all in .308 Winchester, in a sporting goods store in Norway.

A more obvious fact is that since the .257 appeared as a factory round in 1934, there's no way a bunch of 93's were rebarreled to the factory round BEFORE it was introduced. They would have been rebarreled to Ned Roberts wildcat round--which had slightly different dimensions, so would have been a handloading-only round. I sincerely doubt a hardware store owner would stock a barrel full of wildcat rifles for which nobody could buy factory ammo.

The major point, however, is that if somebody did rebarrel a bunch of 93's for the factory .257, it would have had to happen AFTER the .257 Roberts became a SAAMI-approved factory round--which means the low pressure limit was NOT due to rebarreled 93 Mausers,

Have a nice day.

you can still find the business’s they were sold in but you missed it by 20-30 years, so you won’t find them anymore.

Coast to coast hardware, Smith & Edwards and Bobs marina. Local stores. All those stores had a sporterized barrel of 91,93,95,96 and 98’s and a separate barrel for non Sporters .

The sporter barrels were mostly full of Carl Gustav 6.5x55’s. But also had several 257’s, 308 and 243’s, among others but thought the 243 and 308 were worth mentioning, At least one of the 243’s was a 93 .must have been a local that thing? If so some of them traveled .. my 257 is stamped “made by A.D Forkey, Texas” it is a nicely executed rifle with a surprisingly nice wood stock. While every gun in the barrels were not 257’s, there were several 257’s to pick from.

I got mine at Bobs, don’t want to leave anything out.

You could find them by the crates of SKS and 30M1’s. I assumed that happened other places as well but maybe not.. I’m sure l’ll be set straight if not.

It does seem that weak actions wouldn’t be the reason for the low pressure factory ammo,but this is the first I’ve read that it’s absolutely not the reason, which makes sense given the timeline.

However it seems most loading manuals back then, when it came to the reason why stated “possibly because of weak actions “ I should have used “possibly” as a caveat to avoid chastising.

or “I don’t know why Remington did that, maybe they just knew it would happen ”which is what Ken Waters says in pet loads..

Regardless I won’t repeat that old wives tale anymore I was unaware this was solved.

I guess the pressure limit makes as much sense as the throat on them, which is said to be stubby because of short varmint bullets and blunt RN Roberts used. For Remington to follow suit makes about as much sense as a soup sandwich.

In short it sounds like a bunch of I don’t knows and maybes. Didn’t know the definitive was out there.

I am having a nice day thank you. Got a mixed bag of forest grouse this morning , gearing up for waterfowl this evening.

You have a nice day too.

Remember that the 257 Roberts was introduced during the depths of The Great Depression, when most people didn't have discretionary income to spend on rebarreling surplus military rifles or, it seems, to buy many commercial rifles either. The most common pre-WW2 commercial rifle chambered in 257 Roberts is probably the Winchester 70 and there aren't many of them out there.

Whoever made the decisions about what bullet styles and pressure levels to standardize is probably long dead and since Remington has a well documented history of screwing up cartridges that they introduce, it seems unlikely that they had a clue that what they were doing would result in a sub-optimal outcome and criticism from those able to exercise 20/20 hindsight.

Or so it seems to me.