rosco1,

Like 260Rem, I would also like to know where those hardware stores full of 93 Mausers rebarreled to .257 Roberts appeared. I have an extensive collection of shooting literature, and can find no reference to such--and never heard of it from any of my older hunting friends either, many of whom would have been around if it occurred. Please explain where this occurred. I have seen barrels full of "war surplus" Lee-Enfield .303's in my day, and one barrel full of a cheaper version of the Remington 700, all in .308 Winchester, in a sporting goods store in Norway.

A more obvious fact is that since the .257 appeared as a factory round in 1934, there's no way a bunch of 93's were rebarreled to the factory round BEFORE it was introduced. They would have been rebarreled to Ned Roberts wildcat round--which had slightly different dimensions, so would have been a handloading-only round. I sincerely doubt a hardware store owner would stock a barrel full of wildcat rifles for which nobody could buy factory ammo.

The major point, however, is that if somebody did rebarrel a bunch of 93's for the factory .257, it would have had to happen AFTER the .257 Roberts became a SAAMI-approved factory round--which means the low pressure limit was NOT due to rebarreled 93 Mausers,

Have a nice day.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck